Being born and raised in Washington State, just outside of Seattle, Starbucks is a staple. It is part of our landscape. Its just something we do. I am surprised it is not used as verb yet like Facebooking, googling or tweeting. Friend -Hey, what are you up to tomorrow Me Oh you know, just Starbucking You could say that Seattle is the coffee capital of the U.S. The city of Seattle has the greatest concentration of coffee houses in the country. The original Starbucks opened in 1971 in the Pike Place Market and has been iconic to this area ever since. Have you ever tried to visit the original Starbucks during the summer? Due to Starbucks cult like following and the fact that it is at the market, there is a line through the entire store and down the side walk outside. It seems like almost everyone in the world is there at the same time.
Now, it is rare to travel anywhere and not see a Starbucks. People will get up early to grab it before work. They will wait in long lines, pre-order through their app, and even fork over cash they really dont have for a cup of that delicious bean juice.
So the big question on every low carbers mind is Do I have to give up my daily Starbucks to maintain my low carb, ketogenic lifestyle The answer is NO!! Well then how do you order low carb / keto at Starbucks? You just have to get creative with your ordering. Dont be too shy to ask for exactly what you want. You are handing over your hard earned money and paying a premium to go to Starbucks, versus other coffee chains. Therefore, You should get exactly what you want, even if it is an off-menu or custom made drink. Never once have I been met with anything but friendliness when requesting a special order. They may not always get it right, but they will certainly try and are always willing to remake it. I am here to help you get creative with your low carb ordering. Starbucks is back on your low carb menu! So, what can you order? Here are several to get your started. I will add more options as I think of them.
HOW TO ORDER LOW CARB / KETO AT STARBUCKS AND 10 LOW CARB STARBUCKS COPYCAT RECIPES
THE OBVIOUS CHOICES:
- Espresso There are no carbs in a shot of espresso. It is definitely an acquired taste, but it is always a viable option.
- Drip Coffee You can drink it black or you can add cream and sugar free syrup to it. This is how I drink my coffee at home on most days. When I am not drinking Bullet proof coffee that is.
- Iced Coffee Again, you can add any sugar free syrups you want to this. You can also add heavy cream or half and half
- Cold Brew This is made in house daily and in small batches. Get it early before they are sold out.
- Hot Tea Starbucks has a lot of great hot tea flavors. Drink it as is or add a little sweetener or sugar free syrup to it.
- Cappucino Cappuccino is just espresso and milk foam. If you like it wetter, it also has a little steamed milk in it. You can have it plain or you can add sugar free syrup to it. There is something so comforting about a foamy cappuccino.
HERE ARE SOMEAOPTIONS TO REPLACE YOUR DAILY LATTE:
- Order an americano (iced or hot) with a splash of heavy cream. Starbucks makes their own whipped cream, therefore they all carry heavy cream. If you want it flavored, just add any of their sugar free syrups.
- Order a latte, sub half and half (breve) or heavy cream. If you want it flavored, just add any of their sugar free syrups. This will be very creamy. If you dont want it so rich, order the americano option above instead.
- Order a latte, but ask for almond milk or coconut milk as a substitution. Many Starbucks now carry both. Note They are not unsweetened and do have some sugar and carbs. They are still much lower than milk. Ask to see the container. They will happily show you. Then you can see for sure if they are right for your personal carb allowance.
HERE ARE SOMEA OPTIONS TO REPLACE YOUR DAILY FRAPPUCINO:
- This one took them a couple of tries to get right. They looked at me like I was nuts, but once they got it right, it became my favorite summer drink. Ask for a Coffee Light Frappucino with half water and half heavy cream instead of the nonfat milk. It has a subtle sweetness all on its own, but you can add any of their sugar free syrups for a little more flavor
- Ask for a Sugar Free Cinnamon Dulce Light Frappucino with half water and half heavy cream instead of non-fat milk. Trust me when I tell you that your low carb blended coffee drink game just got elevated.
HERE ARE SOME OPTIONS TO REPLACE YOUR DAILY MOCHA:
- Order a Skinny Mocha with half heavy cream and half water. Alternately you can ask to sub half and half (breve)
- Order an Americano with skinny mocha sauce and a splash of heavy cream
- Order a coconut or almond milk mocha, sub skinny mocha sauce
- Order a sugar free peppermint mocha with skinny mocha sauce with half heavy cream and half water. Alternately, you can ask to sub half and half (breve)
- Not a coffee drinker? Order a skinny mocha hot chocolate breve